1879 Confederate Monument

For the best part of 450-years, the Plaza has been a public space and forum for free speech. The last 15-20 years, not so much.
plazabum
Site Admin

1879 Confederate Monument

Post by plazabum » September 30th, 2017, 7:34 pm

scrutney
Site Admin

Re: 1879 Confederate Monument

Post by scrutney » September 30th, 2017, 8:02 pm

now there's a conversation starter.

mike

Post by mike » October 1st, 2017, 6:40 am

The minute they attempt to raise that monument, it is going to crumble like talcum powder. Three is no good reason to go f'ing with this historical marker.

Minorcanmama13

Post by Minorcanmama13 » October 1st, 2017, 7:55 am

There is not one single thing on this memorial that screams confederate, or hatred. It is simply a memorial honoring those who never returned from the war. Yes, the civil war. Most of those who are offended by this memorial in our plaza probably don't even know what years the civil war was fought. Those who are "offended" aren't even originally from our community and don't care about St Augustine's history. They are merely puppets on the string played by a very hateful Reverend Ron Rawls (who lives in Gainesville). This man is in our town demanding things from our city officials. He has been given plenty. It's never enough. He will continue to wreak havoc in our town until the city officials reject his demands. If you want our historical markers, monuments, statues, etc to stay put, please attend the next town hall meeting. It will be Monday October 9th at 5pm. Let your opinion be heard. If you can't attend, email the Mayor, Vice Mayor, city commissioners and especially John Regan city manager, as the council has put this issue in his hands.

bieramar

Post by bieramar » October 1st, 2017, 9:21 am

One of the best Civil War historical monuments in the nation - I second all the prior comments.
If the upcoming meeting wasn't outside my commute, I'd be there.

plazabum
Site Admin

Post by plazabum » October 1st, 2017, 9:43 am

Thanks for joining Minorcanmama13
Welcome aboard :D

bieramar

Post by bieramar » October 1st, 2017, 9:59 pm

PucPuggy

Post by PucPuggy » October 3rd, 2017, 9:16 am

mike wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 6:40 am
The minute they attempt to raise that monument, it is going to crumble like talcum powder. Three is no good reason to go f'ing with this historical marker.
Absofreakin'lutely! This knee-jerk reaction with regard to historic (and historical) structures of all kinds (think of Len Weeks and the Fornells House) needs to take construction and materials into consideration. Saying, "Move it" isn't always possible.

St. Augustine is a town that relies on its history for existence. There is very little awareness among residents (and there is no way to educate them) on historic preservation. We see "interest" when someone gets pissed at something and it affects him/her personally. Or when someone wants a parking lot.

Our municipal government doesn't take the lead. Look at what happened to Echo House (the city of St. Aug made that HAPPEN). Nor does Flagler College. Nor anyone else.

The last time CPSA (Citizens for the Preservation of St. Augustine) rallied itself from dormancy was over a personal matter.

What about doing good for our irreplaceable resources, both cultural and natural? Is there no awareness or altruism?

As a community we need remedial conscious-raising sessions in historic preservation.

Thank you. Withdrawing soapbox and moving on...

PucPuggy

Post by PucPuggy » October 3rd, 2017, 11:42 am

Minorcanmama13 wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 7:55 am
There is not one single thing on this memorial that screams confederate, or hatred. It is simply a memorial honoring those who never returned from the war. Yes, the civil war. Most of those who are offended by this memorial in our plaza probably don't even know what years the civil war was fought. Those who are "offended" aren't even originally from our community and don't care about St Augustine's history. They are merely puppets on the string played by a very hateful Reverend Ron Rawls (who lives in Gainesville). This man is in our town demanding things from our city officials. He has been given plenty. It's never enough. He will continue to wreak havoc in our town until the city officials reject his demands.

If you want our historical markers, monuments, statues, etc to stay put, please attend the next town hall meeting. It will be Monday October 9th at 5pm. Let your opinion be heard. If you can't attend, email the Mayor, Vice Mayor, city commissioners and especially John Regan city manager, as the council has put this issue in his hands.
Minorcanmama13, Spot on! Are we the only two who know about Rawls? Seriously, are we?

(1) Rawls is a pox on our city. He is a race- and hate-monger, liar, narcissist... too much to list. The city commissions have been afraid of him for years and years. I keep wondering: Is it because he knows something, or because he uses the race card at every opportunity. And threats of violence. He brainwashes his congregation with hate and negativity. He has not one single redeeming attribute.

Rawls is the architect of destruction of Echo House. I'm sure you remember that fiasco. He and church members removed the clay tiles from the roof of EH, saying it was to "preserve" them. HAH! Rawls had no permission to do such a thing. No one said a word. Removing the roof was the death knell for the structure.

Then Rawls went inside and pillaged the interior, removing built-ins and so on. No one said a word.

In St. Augustine, Rawls can be a BIG GUPPY in a LITTLE POND. He could never achieve such status in Gainesville. I hope his wife makes judge and they move to another district. The AME won't re-assign him as it has been urged to do.

Rawls is a CON MAN. Period. End of story.

(2) Is the town hall meeting a regular city commission meeting? YES, we must speak up and speak out. These mute resources have no voice but OURS.

mike

Post by mike » October 3rd, 2017, 12:17 pm

I may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I know where the power comes from.

I also know where to find the volume knob and squelch on the public address system.

And, I'm not afraid to use them.

PucPuggy

Post by PucPuggy » October 3rd, 2017, 12:47 pm

mike wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 12:17 pm
I may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I know where the power comes from.

I also know where to find the volume knob and squelch on the public address system.

And, I'm not afraid to use them.
:D Mike, Those are just two of the many reasons why you are my hero.

scrutney
Site Admin

Post by scrutney » October 3rd, 2017, 12:55 pm

i first heard of rawls through one of the bearded avenger's posts on facebook.
frankly (and understandably, imho) i paid little attention.
but when people whose opinions you respect start bitching too...i start paying attention.

i really need to start ignoring el-tweeto's divisive crapola and start paying attention to what is going on in lil old st. auggy.

RichWhitey

Post by RichWhitey » October 6th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Anybody catch Rawls on facebook live? Guess not, he only had 3 or 4 people watching. That didn't slow this guy's roll, though. Gettin' everybody all lathered up and ready to protest at Monday night's commission meeting. There is nothing on Monday night's agenda for the monuments. Dumb asses.

mike

Post by mike » October 21st, 2017, 1:22 pm

https://historiccity.com/2017/staugusti ... rial-70084

City manager favors keeping Confederate memorial
October 18, 2017

It’s the five-member city commission’s decision, but, St Augustine’s City Manager tells Historic City News that he will recommend at the next meeting that they not accede to the demands of a few residents, but rather allow the confederate memorial in the Plaza to remain in place; adding contextualization that will be guided by a Commission-appointed advisory committee.

Of course, the St Augustine City Commission is under no obligation to accept John Regan’s recommendation. They can decide to relocate the memorial, come up with their own plan, or do nothing at all. The city manager’s presentation and recommendation was published today as part of the October 23rd agenda.

“If they decide to relocate the confederate memorial, it raises a number of challenges including how to move it without physically destroying it, the cost and who would pay, as well as identifying a place for relocation,” Regan said in a Wednesday statement distributed to local media. “If they do nothing, they miss an opportunity to tell the city’s complete history.”
During the August 28th meeting, the St. Augustine City Commission heard more than four-hours of public comment regarding the future of the city’s memorial. It was at the conclusion of that meeting, and after discussion among themselves, that commissioners asked the city manager to conduct research into the topic and return with options and a recommendation of specific action.

The presentation on Monday, October 23rd, will offer background on the memorial’s history, its context with other Civil War related recognitions in Florida and nationwide, and recounts the city’s ongoing effort to tell its whole history.

Not everyone in the audience will be thrilled with Regan’s recommendation. AME Pastor Ronald R. Rawls, Jr., has issued televised ultimatums and made threats broadcast over the Internet on Facebook Live calling for his followers to picket certain city events, like the upcoming first night of the Nights of Lights, known as Light-up Night.

Rawls says he will not rest until the city’s confederate memorial is removed from the Plaza de la Constitution where it has stood in peaceful memory of local family members who never returned home from the battlefield for more than 100-years.

The meeting will begin at 5:00 p.m. on Monday, October 23 in The Alcazar Room, City Hall, 75 King St. and will be carried live on GTV (Comcast channel 3) as well as on-line at CityStAugTV.com where it is also available on-demand the day following the meeting. The presentation, scheduled under the section of the agenda set aside for items by the City Manager, will be near the meeting’s conclusion.

Based on level of interest in this topic and the participation of the previous meeting, overflow seating will be available in the loggia off the City Hall courtyard after 7:00 p.m. Those arriving after The Alcazar Room has reached capacity, may fill out a comment card, but there will be no overflow seating until after 7:00 p.m. due to an event at Lightner Museum.

Coebul

Post by Coebul » October 22nd, 2017, 11:51 am

Not much information on the web about this Rawls!

mike

Post by mike » October 22nd, 2017, 10:57 pm

Coebul wrote:
October 22nd, 2017, 11:51 am
Not much information on the web about this Rawls!
Interesting, isn't it. His wife's an attorney, he used to be in real estate (license now inactive) they both live two counties away in Gainesville.

mike

Post by mike » October 22nd, 2017, 11:10 pm

Monday night is the showdown .....
  • Will Al Sharpton make an appearance?
  • How about Jesse Jackson?
  • We could channel Malcolm X, or Louis Farrakhan. Or, during the intermission. Malcolm in the Middle and Louis Armstrong!

bieramar

Post by bieramar » November 19th, 2017, 9:56 pm